February 1, 2024

How to get an ABC permit for your wedding in Pinehurst / Southern Pines

Wedding Planning can be a bit overwhelming. There are so many details to keep track of and tiny tasks that need to be accomplished in the months leading up to your wedding that it is easy for some of the less obvious ones – like getting an ABC permit for your wedding – to slip through the cracks until the last minute.

Luckily, the process of getting an ABC permit for your wedding is pretty easy here in Moore County, NC!

Hey there!

My name is Mollie and I have been a wedding photographer since 2009. Since then I have photographed hundreds of weddings and have seen the good, the bad, and the unexpected.

That means when it comes to elegant but unfussy affairs, I have tons of insight into what makes a wedding go smoothly that I’d love to share with you. Be sure to follow along for more tips for planning your dream NC wedding.

Do you need an ABC permit for your wedding in Pinehurst / Southern Pines?

First things first, let’s decide if you even need to worry about getting an ABC permit for your wedding.

Your first stop is going to be your venue contract. Depending on your venue you may not need an additional permit if you only plan to serve beer and wine.

However, if you plan to serve liquor an ABC permit is a must and will be required.

Unless otherwise stated in your contract it is your responsibility to apply for the ABC permit – not the venues so be prepared and clarify with the venue if there is any doubt.

How far in advance should you apply for your ABC Permit?

Obviously it never hurts to be ahead of schedule, but the NC ABC Commission requires the permit to be submitted a minimum of 2 weeks before your event.

What is required to apply for your ABC permit for your wedding?

You will need to go to the North Carolina ABC Online Permittee Portal at https://aps.abc.nc.gov/ and fill in your personal and event information.

Once you have provided that info you will need to print out the application and have it notarized, then re-upload the notarized application along with all required documents. You will need your application number and PIN (provided on the application) to log back in.

You also need to plan for a trip to the Clerk of Courts office to obtain a copy of your criminal record. This one was a bit of a surprise for me so be sure to plan ahead!


  • Completed, notarized application
  • $50 fee (paid by credit card)
  • A copy of your venue lease / rental agreement
  • A certified copy of the applicant criminal record (which can be obtained from the Clerk of Court in Carthage)

Once you have all of the required documents log back in at https://aps.abc.nc.gov/ with your application number and PIN. You will then be able to upload the application and submit it.

That’s it!

Be sure to follow me here and on Instagram for more wedding planning tips and tricks for your Pinehurst wedding!


We will be in touch soon. 

Contact ME


text me




click here for wedding collections